Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
These lettuce wraps are another favorite and healthy go-to recipe for me, and im sure you will love them too! They are gluten free and keto friendly!
1 lb ground chicken
1 TBS peanut oil
½ onion minced
1 cup red or green pepper diced
1 8 oz can water chestnuts drained and minced
For the Sauce:
3 TBS soy sauce*
3 TBS hoisin sauce**
1 TBS sesame oil
1 TBS rice vinegar
1 TBS peanut butter
1 TBS honey
2 tsp sweet chili sauce (Trader Joe’s!)
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp powdered ginger
¼ cup peanuts crushed.
Lettuce or your favorite Asian salad
HOW TO MAKE ASIAN CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
Let’s walk through the process of making this chicken lettuce wraps recipe step-by-step.
MAKE THE SAUCE
The first step in this lettuce wrap recipe is making the sauce. The sauce is the key to the flavor of this recipe. And I beg you not to tamper with the sauce. It is the part of this recipe that took me years to perfect, and is absolutely delicious as-is!
It’s really simple to make! Just whisk all the ingredients together. If you use a thicker peanut butter that is solid at room temperature, you may need to warm it slightly before using it to make this Asian lettuce wraps recipe!
MAKE THE LETTUCE WRAP FILLING
- Brown the ground chicken! This recipe is very straightforward! There is, however, one very important step and that is to brown the ground chicken. Making sure the chicken is nice and crispy and brown is essential to the overall flavor and texture of this dish!
- Use a Wok, Sauté pan, or a cast iron skillet. For traditional Asian recipes, I love pulling out my wok. But as you can see in the photo above, a regular sauté pan or cast iron skillet works perfectly!
- Dice the vegetables very small. This is one of the keys to making sure every bite is bursting with both texture and flavor! Sometimes I even let my food processor do the chopping for me!
WHAT LETTUCE IS BEST FOR WRAPS?
There are three varieties of lettuce that I recommend to use when making these chicken lettuce wraps:
- Butterhead lettuce
- Green Leaf Lettuce
- Romaine Lettuce
Just be sure to choose a head of lettuce that has large and flexible enough leaves to use as a wrap!
HOW DO YOU CUT LETTUCE FOR LETTUCE WRAPS?
It’s actually very simple! Just cut the bottom part of the head of lettuce off. Then carefully peel away each lettuce leaf! Don’t forget to wash and dry the lettuce leaves before serving!
I prefer to eat them the traditional way…as lettuce wraps! However, I’ve heard people like to serve these Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps to their kids over noodles or rice, or with a side of homemade fried rice, because it’s much easier for them to eat with a spoon than wrapped in a piece of lettuce.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients until well combined. If you use a firmer peanut butter you may need to microwave the mixture for 30-60 seconds in order to melt it and ensure everything is well-mixed.
- Heat 2 TBS peanut oil in a frying pan. Once hot, add ground chicken.
- Cook until some pieces are starting to brown. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is becoming translucent.
- Add the peppers and water chestnuts and cook about 5 minutes or until peppers are becoming soft./li>
- Add sauce and simmer on low heat until the chicken and veggies are evenly coated and everything is heated through.
- Serve in lettuce leaves, on top of your favorite Asian salad, or over noodles or rice!
Notes on ingredients:
- Ground chicken: Finely diced chicken breasts are a great substitute for ground chicken!
- Peanut Oil: Any oil can be used here if you don’t keep peanut on hand or if you have a peanut allergy. I recommend olive oil or avocado oil!
- Soy Sauce: If you have a soy allergy you can substitute coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
- Hoisin sauce: **be sure to choose a gluten-free hoisin sauce to keep this recipe gluten-free, like this one.
- Peanut Butter: If you have a peanut allergy any nut or seed butter could work here, but peanut butter definitely gives the best results!