VEGAN PENNE PASTA
This Recipe of the Week was provided by our Wellness Coach, Katie Alfaro with Nutrilishus.
A delicious vegan and gluten-free penne pasta. Made with a cashew cream cheese sauce and delicious herbs and spices like basil and red pepper flakes. This recipe can be ready in as little as 10-15 min. and it is delicious for lunch, a snack, or dinner! Sub in or out any ingredients as you see fit to your taste. See full recipe below…
Prep Time: 3 mins | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Serves 2
2-3 servings of penne pasta or pasta noodle desired
1 cup of cashews for the cashew cream sauce
1-2 cups of low-fat coconut milk, or dairy-free milk of choice
1 tsp of fresh lemon juice
1 tsp of olive oil
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
2-3 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper
Dash of red pepper flakes
1. In a medium to large pot boil your (option: gluten-free) pasta noodles as recommended in the instructions box for your selected pasta.
2. In a small to medium pot lightly boil 1 cup of cashews in 2-3 cups of water. After cashews have boiled for about 2-3 minutes, drain the cashews and begin to make the cashew cream sauce, while the pasta cooks separately.
3. In a high-speed blender toss in drained boiled cashews, nutritional yeast, cloves of garlic, lemon juice, red pepper flakes (as desired), salt and pepper, and plant-based milk (or regular milk). When adding the milk keep in mind that 1 cup of milk will make for a thick sauce. You can add more milk as desired to acquire the ideal consistency you would like.
4. Once pasta is ready and drained, add pasta to a bowl and mix in your cashew cream sauce. This is a great time to add in chopped basil and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
5. This is a simplified recipe. However, feel free to toss in cherry tomatoes or chopped veggies to your finished pasta.
If you would like to follow Katie Alfaro and the Nutrilishus Instagram account click here: https://www.instagram.com/nutrilishus/?hl=en